Thursday, April 9, 2009

School's IN for Summer

I love to learn. I love to teach and, as I see it, teaching is often learning. It's a sharing experience from which I always come away feeling fulfilled, feeling like I have both given and gained knowledge.

So, last evening, I attended the new teacher orientation at the Art Association of Harrisburg, where this summer I will teach "Digital Photography for Artists." In the fall, I will also have a course designed for students who want to learn more about their digital cameras and how to use them to make good photographs.

Go ahead and sign up for the summer course. If you need more details, visit the Art Association website. I promise you will find the staff more than helpful.

I will probably enroll in at least one summer class as well because, as usual, there is a full slate of courses from which to choose. A short while after joining the association in 2007, I enrolled in Linda Benton-McCloskey's "Experimental Mixed Media" course. I had THE best time and I learned so much from Linda and fellow classmates.

Last fall, I took a drawing class with Maaike Heitkonig Hickok. She can draw! Fellow classmates ranged in age from teens to senior citizen, male and female, and we had fun doing poses and flash poses for one another. What's more, I accomplished my goal of overcoming being so slow with a drawing. I wanted to do better at observing and getting it on paper.

Classmates are the added benefit of the experience of learning. I met interesting and diverse people, many of whom did not aspire to make art for a living but wanted to stretch beyond their comfort zone and learn something new.

Go ahead. Check it out. Sign up for my course or several. Another good one that is offered this spring (beginning Monday) is Elaine Brady-Smith's "Collage" course.

No comments: